Footwear Design and Development Certificate is a 12-week professional certificate comprised of 4 courses that provide students with a comprehensive overview of the footwear industry while developing the necessary skills that lead to successful product design. Industry partners and instructors with extensive experience in design, materials, and production of footwear will provide key elements from concept through marketing in creating functional and fashionable shoes for contemporary consumers.
Who should earn this certificate?
- Clothing designers, merchandisers, shoe designers, and accessory designers who want to expand their understanding of shoe design, marketing and production
- Students and job seekers who want to update their portfolio to include provocative design boards using cutting-edge tools, materials and color development.
Learn about all phases of footwear design and production from introduction to design processes, to biomechanics, best practices, and trends and market analytics all lead to a holistic understanding of how the industry works. Upon completion of the certificate, students with design experience will have adapted their skillset to include a unique area of product design. Students without design experience will acquire an important foundation of the major components of shoe design, production and marketing.
What you will learn
- Understand the anatomy & physiology fundamentals and biometrics of feet and ankles in the context of shoe design to produce stylish yet comfortable products.
- Shoe exploration covering everything from high fashion to everyday shoes, through performance
- Create multiple footwear collection briefs using research, innovative thinking, critical analysis and personal style development while addressing the needs of a contemporary, diverse market.
- Design product that reflects an understanding of the basics of human anatomy, contemporary materials, manufacturing processes and marketing strategies.
- Research and articulate rising trends, customer identification and cultural shifts within the footwear industry.
- Assessment of best business practices regarding ethical, moral and ecological impact on society through acknowledging maltreatment, waste and pollution issues found in manufacturing.
FASH910 – Shoe Design Basics (4-week course) Starts July 6
PreReq: 2-week Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop course titled: Beginner Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop
FASH911 -Materials & Color (4-week course) Starts June 15
FASH912 – Production Management (2-week course) Starts September 21
FASH913 – Trend Analysis & Marketing (2-week course) Starts August 3